Thursday, June 5, 2008

June 4th-June 5th - Villahermosa

We made up for the time we lost Thursday by driving all the way from Poza Rica thru Vera Cruz to Villahermosa. Mostly on good toll roads - albeit expensive...will add what the tolls cost later as I kept track. Gorgeous scenery north of Vera Cruz-high pointy mountains on one side of the road and the ocean on the other. Sometimes as you drive you come over a hill and look down on beautiful beaches. Hardly any development-wish I could buy real estate there - I'd put my house high up on one of those hills overlooking the ocean.
We decided to bypass Vera Cruz by taking the roads around it. There were times I wasn't sure what road to turn down as you go around Vera Cruz to get on the toll way as it is very confusing. You must take Mexico 150 south going towards Cordoba to get on 145 going east towards Villahermosa-Cardenas. And at one point you see Villahermosa La Venta and Villahermosa Agua Dulce -take the Agua Dulce one.
I don't think that even if they put the directions north, south , etc.,. if it would help at all.
You have to look ahead on your map to find the town names so you know you are going in the right direction. Like when you are in the US on I95 heading south towards Miami even if you are hundreds of miles from it - you still see the signs for miami well before all the other cities along the way.
Found Calinda Viva Hotel in Villahermosa online ahead of time - if I could of booked it ahead of time it would of been about $80 but the walk-in rate we got was $110-has in room wifi and breakfast included.
Quality Inn next door was $100 but was booked up and Hyatt I'm sure was much more.
There is a Walmart and office depot nearby. So we plan to stop at walmart for cat food for Jims cat as he has no luck finding any at the Super Che. I explained to him that they eat cats here so he may have a hard time finding canned cat food. He did find dry though. I hope today at walmart he finds canned otherwise he may have to spend more buying thru a vet.
Jim drives in the mornings and sleeps in the afternoons so sometime misses the great scenery. I got an XM radio so he could listen to his news stations and so I could listen to my jazz while driving...had to put limits on his constant news listening as it does get annoying - not what I consider a relaxing thing to listen to while driving.
Long drive ahead of us today getting to Chetumal on slow roads because of all the little towns to go thru. So we are up early. At least this place has inroom coffee. I knew I would be missing my coffee maker and hazelnut creamer. Yup I'm just a spoiled American I guess.

No comments: